They're five and seven with narrow perceptions of the world.
I try to get them to see beyond themselves, beyond the walls built up around them of protection, comfort and luxury.
I try to get them to see that we are the rich. Always rich in the temporal, but not always in the eternal.
I show them the picture of Imara and where she lives in South America. And then a picture of Uwizeyimana who lives on the other side of the world in Africa. I show them pictures of poverty, of children without food, without clean water, without a bed, without a home. I see their eyes darken with understanding, at least for a moment.
I pray for their hearts to be filled with compassion for those broken and needy. And so, I bring out the shoebox and we choose to fill it with blessings.
And miraculously the blessings are shared. For as the shoebox gets filled, so do our hearts.
And the walls begin to break down.
***************************************
Links to Operation Christmas Child, World Vision and Compassion Canada have been added to the lefthand sidebar.
Collection week for Operation Christmas Child is November 15th to 21st. There's still time to make a difference.
World Vision's website has difference making lessons plans that can be used throughout the learning year.
Compassion Canada has online letter writing to place blessing a sponsor child at your fingertips.
Blessings as you and your family make a world of difference.
on not getting sold a story
1 week ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment