We've had our moments, her and I. The oldest, who is the lover of life with a slight streak of naughtiness running through her veins. She knows how to stretch the limits, and she know where my red button is. It took me almost seven years to finally realize that my reactions to her actions were much more important than her actions themselves. His word had already told me that, but sometimes it's easier to read His words,than to put them into practical usage.
In the Summer 2011 edition of the The Old Schoolhouse magazine, Catherine Levison writes an article called, "How Do You Want to Be Remembered?". Part of her article shares this:
Thirty-one years ago, while holding my first baby in my arms, an older man said to me, "Do not scream and yell at your child." (Let me reassure you, I was not yelling nor in any way angry at my little newborn.) He went on to say, "She will only remember the strong emotions you displayed, not the reason you were yelling and raging." I appreciate being warned of the potential harm of angry screaming. I have never forgotten his words. ...
Charlotte Mason mentions gentleness in regard to parenting, and I believe in this wholeheartedly. She cites one of my favourite verses: "A servant of the Lord must not quarrel but be gentle to all." (2 Timothy 2:24) I love that verse and I find it to be very practical. Do you apply that verse with your children? Charlotte Mason writes that this verse is not restricted to certain people but that it is the "secret to strength" for every parent who is guiding young ones in her home. Discipline can be firm and yet not frightening harsh.
As this new learning year begins, may we choose to speak life giving words to our children. May our tone of voice be sweet like honeycomb and may our homes be filled with voices of praise, encouragement and wise instruction.
Related Links:
Speak Gently ~ Poem by David Bates
Gentle Jesus, Meek and Mild
Gentleness Journal Writing Ideas

