Monday, March 12, 2012

Meeting With Him All Day Long


I rarely wake early to read His Word.  The babes wake up too early and I turn in too late for this to be a joyful routine.  I've tried laying scripture out before me at the breakfast table and sometimes it is devoured, but all too often it is interrupted and left unread.  I have found, through years of trying to figure it out, that once the day has rolled by, and the quiet of the evening arrives, this is the time for me to truly rest, one on One, with the Word, with a journal, in prayer.   But still there is a  fear of compartmentalizing God into a quiet time.  For if my only time communing with the Great I Am is after the babes are asleep, then their young hearts would never see their mama seeking Him in all their growing up years.  I want to meet with Him in all the moments of the day, not necessarily setting a specific time and place, but meeting with Him at any time and place.

You see, I am desperate to be filled up.   For how can I pour into the hearts of my children if I am running on empty? 

I have wondered how do this, this meeting with Him throughout the day, for this was not the pattern of my growing up home.  And so little by little, I have been learning ...

I started to post scripture on the walls and the fridge door where I'd see it and choose to read in the margin moments of the day.  I started speaking prayers in the shower and over steaming soup and at bedsides when saddened girls rest quiet. I started memorizing His Word during time at the kitchen sink, murmuring through rinsing water and bursting suds.  I started going back to my roots, to the hymns that speak gospel, and I play them loud  and sing them louder so that I don't forget where I came from or what has been accomplished for me.  I started to read snippets of inspired words from across the blogosphere that challenge and spur me on.  I started to listen to sermons, not just on Sundays, because they are only a click away all of the time...

What about you?  How does God infiltrate the moments of your day, so that your home and life is breathing His rhythm all day long?



Some Resources to Help Us Meet With Him Often in Little Ways:


Steph at Everyday Awe has designed some amazing printable resources to help us God-focus more easily.  


Good Morning Girls is an online accountability group and Bible Study that you can do with a group of your own old friends or with a group of some online new friends.  


Shawna Haak, a sweet friend and coworker, penned a beautiful post with a wonder of tips for filling yourself up with Him.