Monday, September 10, 2012

Lessons Learned When You are the Teacher


Some words penned a year ago, but seem to be fitting into my thoughts again ...

It’s been four summers since I first approached a learning year with much trembling. I remember feeling very much alone, uncertain of choosing a different way. Friends and dear family members nodded heads and smiled as I shared thoughts of keeping my oldest one at home, instead of placing her in the local kindergarten class.

Within my sweet circle of relationships, I was the single one, who rarely felt confident that the educational choice that I was making was the best choice, comparatively. I usually kept silent and rarely shared the celebrations of our learning successes.



As four summers have passed, my insecurities have faded along the way, and in their absence my confidence has grown. This growth is not due to my children’s talent, intelligence, or athletic ability. It is not credited to their excellent character or amazing obedience {we still have a long way to go}. And it is certainly not a result of me having figured it all out.

No, my confidence exists simply because Someone much greater than I has carried me and has instructed me through lessons and laundry.

He has taught me that my ways, and the ways of those around me, are not necessarily His ways.

He has shown me that all is like withering grass, but that which is built on His Word.

He has taught me that the heart of the child is entrusted to me to cherish and to train.

He has revealed to me that the grandest lessons are often learned through the deepest failures.

He is my strength ~ daily. And He is my joy song.




Sally Clarkson writes in her book Seasons of a Mother’s Heart, “God's will is not something hidden that needs to be found but, rather, something revealed that needs to be done."

And so again, I gather the children for one more year.

We’ll sit together and laugh together. We’ll share our frustrations and failures, and then we’ll encourage and pray each other through. We’ll learn more about Him and live more beside Him. We’ll make one more year of memories and learn to grow from each one of them. And above all, we’ll remember, with humble gratitude, that we are blessed.