Can I share a little story? ...
{Photos provided by Brad Brietkreutz taken during a trip to Kenya last spring.}
A few months ago I contacted Maxine from Relief and Support Services Canada. It was time to set up the two younger girls with what we like to call a 'sister-friend', and I knew that Maxine was just the one to take care of the orchestration. I tapped out an email requesting two younger girls around the ages of five or six, and Maxine responded with kind words informing me that there were four girls within the area that RSSC works that matched closely to my age choice.
There sat in my inbox a photo of each girl accompanied with a short excerpt about her young life. And there I sat thinking, how do I choose just two?
I told the husband my dilemma, and he knowingly raised his eyebrows, and on a happy day a few months ago four new 'sister-friends' joined our family.
My younger daughters chose Christine and Yvonne to share pictures and notes with over the next decade or so.
And for the other two 'sister-friends'? I thought of you. What a wonder it would be for two little girls in Kenya to receive pictures, and drawings, and carefully penned notes from forty boys and girls spread over a province called British Columbia, in a country called Canada. Can you just imagine the crazy smiles when a bundle of treasures of notes and artwork is placed into these little girls' hands? I'm hoping that you and your family would join me in this most lovely of love-gifts? Here's how:
{Draw a picture or write a note and place it into an envelope mailed directly to my address. Please include only flat items such as stickers, photos, etc. along with your letter, if so inclined. Letters from Alphine and Dorcas will be shared with families so that you can be updated on these precious girls.}
********************************************
May I now introduce to you two of the dearest little girls in Kenya! ...
Our first is Alphine Awino who turned seven this past spring. Here is a snapshot into her young life:
Hello, my name is Alphine Awino and I was born in April 2006. I am in Nursery at Burlum Primary School. My favorite subject is Writing. I am in position 6 out of 50 in my class. I live with my mother Hellen, my father has died. I have 5 siblings. My duty is learning to sweep the house. I like to play with toys. We live in the Pap-Onditi district of Western Kenya.
And then there is Dorcas Nekesa Wabwoba who turned 8 this summer. Each time I read the last line of her write-up the tears start spilling.
Hello, my name is Dorcas Nekesa Wabwoba and I was born on August 25, 2005. I am in K3 in School and my favorite subject is Counting. I live with my sickly mother Christine who earns a living digging for hire. My father has died. I have 3 brothers and 3 sisters. My duty is to run small errands. When I am with my friends I like to play group games. We live in the village Buema in the Bungoma South district of Western Kenya. Thank you for reading about me. Dorcas' prayer request is for a sponsor.
{Both of these girls were waiting for a sponsor since 2010, and just a few months ago my family brought them into our home through Relief and Support Services Canada. Dorcas' prayer has been answered, yes, but three years later ...}




0 comments:
Post a Comment